Sunday 13 November 2011

Tar Sands

Wow, what an eventful few days I've had.  I'm changing my degree pathway to Biology and have been to Shared Planet (Saturday only).

I met the most wonderful young woman called Crystal Lameman-Cardinal who's a student in Alberta, Canada.  Her people, the Beaver Lake Cree Nation, are really affected by the Tar Sands production over there, something I hadn't heard much of until now.  She told us how it was affecting her community, especially the children and old people. 

The one thing that really resonated with me was the fact that the water is contaminated and they have water delivered in bowsers that they have to boil.  The contaminated water makes the babies and old people ill if they consume it.  It reminded me of when Denis was a baby and the water in Worcester became contaminated.  We had a bowser for a few days and I was worried that he was going to be ill from contaminated water in his bottles. 

I went to see her afterwards and told her the story.  I also told her I would help in any way I could.

Prepare for me to become a Tar Sands campaigner - and a bit of a nuisance.

No comments:

Post a Comment